Tuesday 11 December 2012

From Chinoiseries to Perspex

I have been thinking for a long time now that it would be nice to work with perspex and textiles.  I would like to encase my designs so they are like specimens, delicate objects 'preserved in aspic' so to speak.  I want to create a clean almost industrial feel to the objects (with steel and bolt fixing - possibly with antique hinges) that could be wall hanging or free standing screens.   I love Chinese antique folding screens and chinoiseries.  They are beautiful precious pieces.

Chineoserie Folding Screens

Black Lacquered Chinese Folding Screens

Coromandel screen

Coco Chanel loved to collect Coromandel Screens which consist of wooden folded panels coated in black or dark lacquer usually carved sometimes decorated with jade, semi-precious stones, shell, or porcelain.  She owned over 32 Coromandel screens and in some rooms applied them to the walls like wallpaper.

I would like to create obviously a more contemporary feel with perspex.  But I would like to create free standing or wall hanging panels, which will encase my textile designs.   I discussed this with Tom today,  our computer tutor, who is also a furniture designer, as I thought he may know where I could purchase perspex.  He was very helpful and gave me some companies to try. 

It's been a good day today very productive I just hope I can keep going till next Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment