Wednesday 5 December 2012

From Sampling to Composition

Macro-Micro




Its been a couple of weeks since I last blogged because its been hectic, what with the essay to finish and the journal, but mainly more researching and experimenting with work so it seems there is loads to catch up on and discuss.

I have decided to split my work up into three collections:

                        .                           Macro-Micro  ( which I mentioned in an earlier blog)
                        .                           Rocks Reflections and Crags
                        .                           Abstract Landscape

These titles are fluid at the moment but it helps me to clarify in my own mind where I am going with each collection.

The Macro-Micro theme is developing an individual shape, style colour and mood.  I like the vertical narrow shapes and envisage enormous long panels of artwork that would be suited to loft-style living or large community areas.  I have been limiting myself to using blues and touches of pink and white to create an atmospheric almost stormy or threatening mood.  

I have been spending time experimenting with printing trying to develop the gum-arabic method (not easy) and also mono printing.  I loved the quality of the mono printing and used a thick pliable print paper that is easy to stitch into.  Below is one of the mono prints before I stitched into it.  I want to develop this technique to help me create the micro/abstract element of the vertical prints.  

 Abstract Monoprint


 I experimented in the print room with devore fabrics and screen printing as below and now want to add these processes to the digitally printed mono print above on a devore fabric.  Here I have screen printed twice onto the same fabric once to burn away fabric secondly, to add a raised surface.  I want to work with this idea creating complicated  multi-layered designs.

Devore sample

Composition and focal points are a stumbling block for me.  I get absorbed in texture  and shape so I have been trying to think more about the placement of my work more.

Landscape and Abstract Composition

Here I have combined four pieces of work (two mono prints and two gum arabic) then I have stitched them together.    There have been many failures over the last two weeks in print methods etc., but some of these have proved to be successes.   I hate starting on a plain piece of paper and a friend of mine said that the Shakers always put a mark on whatever they make because they believe only God can achieve perfection.  I quite like that idea and by ripping up these failures and stitching them together it has proved a less scary prospect than starting on a fresh canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment